Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Apple's Shuffle Gets More Air than Dee Brown


Has anyone else noticed that Apple has blown their entire marketing budget on making sure everyone watching the NCAA tournament buys an iPod Shuffle? There was a brief fifteen minute period when I actually wanted to download, I mean buy, that song. The only problem is that period was during the first half of the Michigan State/Old Dominion game back in the first round. After watching that damn commercial during every break in that game and every game since, I almost turned off the TV during this last weekend of overtime games where every timeout was used, thus forcing me to jam to what Apple considers to be the hippest new product on the market. If you haven't seen the commercial, get a TV or go here.

Also, what's with the idea of wearing MP3 players around your neck? I think it's a ridiculous idea. Now, if that happens to be the most convenient way for you to wear it, then by all means do it. But, as indicated on their website, Apple seems to think it is "the ultimate fashion statement." The little necklace thing is called a "lanyard." In case it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else, let me be the first to say that if you wear your MP3 player around your neck for any reason other than pure convenience, you are a dork. If anyone ever danced the way those black silouettes do in the commercial, there would be lawsuits everywhere for the dozens of eyes that would be knocked out by that little Shuffle flying around (the commercial conspicuously restricts the Shuffle's flight capabilities to make you think you wont choke yourself when dancing). Believe it or not, they even offer a lanyard for the iPod Mini. Since I now have a mini, trust me, that thing would bang into everything if worn around your neck. If you're dying for people to know that you have a Shuffle, or iPod, or iPod Mini, the white earphones are enough for most anyone who would care.

8 Comments:

At 3/30/2005 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lanyard is not a new term. It is used all of the time in the military. It is a string that secures loose items onto your body. This would include any type of equipment (flashlights etc) and is also used to secure your M-9 (9mm pistol) onto your holster. The lanyard is especially used for paratroopers needing everything secured onto their bodies when they jump out of airplanes.

 
At 3/30/2005 11:10 AM, Blogger Class of 1996 Reunion Committee said...

Although I certainly wasn't suggesting that "lanyard" was an Apple-derived term, I appreciate the brief backgroud on it. It's good to know that Apple has made it possible for paratroopers and other members of our armed forces to incorporate their iPods into their BDUs (Battle Dress Uniforms for you non-military people).

 
At 3/30/2005 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had a quarter for every employee at work today who's wearing a lanyard, I'd make my week's salary easily. The idea of wearing your small, lightweight stuff around your neck as a convenient alternative to jamming everything into your pockets is nothing new.

But then, Scott's an attorney, so he's got a skewed sense of reality already...

--R.J.

 
At 3/30/2005 1:09 PM, Blogger Class of 1996 Reunion Committee said...

Ah, Mr. Jung, the only thing that is skewed is your understanding of my post. You and I are in agreement. That's why I wrote, "if you wear your MP3 player around your neck for any reason other than pure convenience...." The point of the post is to ridicule the idea that wearing an MP3 player around your neck is "the ultimate fashion statement," not the overall idea of wearing any item around your neck.

 
At 3/30/2005 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wear the shuffle around my neck when lifting weights or running at the gym. Very light, very conveniently accessible. I do run the earbud wires under my shirt to my ears, keeps things from getting too tangled up.

 
At 3/30/2005 2:00 PM, Blogger Class of 1996 Reunion Committee said...

Finally, someone else who runs the wires under their shirt. I thought I was the only one. I've been doing that for years, first when I had a tape player (walkman), then when I had a CD player, and now with my iPod mini. But I never see anyone else do it. They just run the cords behind their back if not in front. That could lead to serious problems especially when lifting weights. Does that mean you wear the Shuffle under your shirt?

Although I used to use the belt clip for the mini and run the wires under my shirt up to my ears, I now use the arm band and run the wires through my sleeve and then up to my ears. It eliminates all the potential to get the cords caught on something. And, as opposed to using the belt clip, I am much less likely to smash into the mini with a 45 pound weight when loading up a bar (it also would dig into my side while sitting).

 
At 4/04/2005 8:00 PM, Blogger Nam LaMore said...

I read a few weeks ago that Sony's gonna be taking Apple head-on in the next few months.

Though Apple has a huge marketshare, anything that Sony does will absolutely be elegant .. that's what they're known for. Sony has some of the best industrial designers working for them, and the form-factors of their products are always appealling. I can't wait to see what Sony's MP3's will be like. Should be a good shoot out, with consumers winning.

 
At 4/05/2005 11:11 AM, Blogger Class of 1996 Reunion Committee said...

I think you mean Samsung. They have issued press releases claiming they expect to take a strong market share away from Apple in the next few years.

As much as I like Sony, however, they have their own problems. First, they are just as expensive (if not more) as Apple. So, they won't win on price. Second, they lack a simple and intuitive song selection device like Apple's clickwheel. This is one feature that nobody has been able to effectively compete with Apple on. Third, their music management software is awful. It requires you to use it to be able to use the MP3 player and, because of Sony's music industry ties, has strong safeguards against music piracy which can cripple even legitimate uses. I love the way Sonys look, but just like everyone else, they still have a long way to go to catch up with Apple.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory eXTReMe Tracker