Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Parking Lot Duel

Yes, I know it's been a while since I've posted, but I'm lazy, so shut your bitch. Anyways, a few weeks ago Meghan and I were looking for a parking spot in downtown Ann Arbor. There were no spots on the street so we found a pay lot (not a garage one, just an outdoor lot). When we pulled up, there was a car in front of us just waiting in front of the gate (the barrier that raises and lowers to let you in and out). The driver wasn't pressing the ticket button but was just waiting with his/her hand right next to it. I was starting to get annoyed but then all of a sudden he/she pressed the button and the gate opened up.

What makes this story fun and interesting is that when I pulled up to the gate I saw that there was another car waiting to get in on the other side of the parking lot. That's when I realized what was going on. It was obvious the parking lot was full and the driver was waiting for someone to leave. When that person leaves, the computer controlling the lot recognizes that there is an available parking space and allows another car to be admitted. So, the car that I was waiting behind was locked in a parking lot duel with the car at the other entrance. When the car already in the parking lot left, the driver in front of me quickly pressed the button to get a ticket before the other driver across the lot could press it. Basically, what it comes down to is whoever presses the button first gets in - which can make for a fun time.

So, when I moved up to the gate it was my turn to duel for the spot. With lots of encouragement from Meghan, I got myself pumped for the moment I knew was coming. I braved the sub-zero temperatures as I waited for approximately 2-3 minutes watching the readout. All of a sudden it changed from, "Lot Full" to "Press for Ticket." I made my move and BAMM! I got a ticket. I drove in triumphantly with Meghan more in love with me than ever before and threw a beer bottle at the car I had just annihilated (not really but I wish I did, he knew he was a loser). As we were searching for the one open spot, another car must have left because we were joined in the lot by the loser. Meghan, for no apparent reason, shouted "damn!" (not a joke). This was funny because she got so wrapped up in the duel that she evidently wanted that other car to never get in, despite the fact that there were spots for both of us.

Anyways, see if you can do this in your town, it's decently fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory eXTReMe Tracker